UK & World News

  • 3 January 2014, 0:49

New York Science Lab Blast Injures Students

Two high school students in Manhatten have been hurt - one seriously - after a chemistry experiment went wrong, setting them on fire.

Anna Poole, a teacher at Beacon High School had hoped to treat her students to a 'fun' demonstration on their first day back following the holidays, it is reported.

But there was an explosion in the third-floor laboratory and Alonzo Yanes, 16, was engulfed by a fireball, according to the New York Post.

Witness told how he shouted "Help me! Help me!", before dropping to the floor and rolling in a bid to put out the flames.

One classmate said he was ablaze for a "good minute" before the fire was put out using an extinguisher, and a blanket.

Firefighters were called to the scene at 9.05am on Thursday.

Alonzo, who was taken to Cornell Medical Center, is said to be in a serious but not life-threatening condition.

Another 16-year-old female student, suffered less severe burns to her neck, head and arm, and was also treated in hospital.

Deputy Fire Chief Anthony Devita told the Post: "The teacher was reportedly demonstrating how certain chemicals react to others, which you do expect in a science class.

"The teacher was shaken up but not injured."

In a statement to Sky News, New York City's Education Department said: "During a science experiment in a chemistry class at Beacon High School this morning, there was an explosion that reportedly caused burns to the face and neck of one 10th grader and caused burns to the hand of another 10th grader.

"Both were taken to Cornell Medical Center. Parents were notified.

"The principal is investigating the incident and we cannot elaborate without compromising the investigation."

:: Watch Sky News live on television, on Sky channel 501, Virgin Media channel 602, Freeview channel 82 and Freesat channel 202.