UK & World News

  • 11 May 2014, 12:05

Nigeria Kidnapping: Militants 'Have Laid Traps'

The militants who have kidnapped almost 300 schoolgirls in Nigeria are likely to have laid booby traps and landmines to stop them being found, Sky News has been told.

A former member of Nigerian military added that starving members of Boko Haram could be a way of rescuing the girls, who were taken from Chibok in the northern state of Borno on April 14.

Former air commodore Darlington Abdullahi said: "They may have made land mines, one cannot rule that out.

"One thing for sure is, even as they go along abducting children, they will also go after food; grabbing food from various angles.

"That is why it's important that if the military from various countries close up on them that means the issue of starvation might come in and might even force them to find exit ways and most likely abandon the girls that are still with them within the forest."

Intelligence sources have previously told Sky News they believe they know where some of the schoolgirls are.

The sources believe they have been split into at least four different groups.

Sky News also understands British and American officials are using advanced eavesdropping equipment to scan the Sambisa forest where the schoolgirls are thought to be.

The militants are believed to have blown up an important bridge near where the girls were first seized, complicating efforts to find them.

Fleeing residents said the bridge between the states of Adamawa and Borno was destroyed on Friday.

The wife and two children of a retired police officer were also abducted, they said.

A team of French experts arrived in the country on Saturday, as international efforts to find the schoolgirls are ramped up.

This follows on from British and American personnel arriving earlier in the week.

As international help continues to arrive, the Nigerian military has had tip-offs that Boko Haram could be planning another attack on the market in the capital Abuja.

The militant group has killed more than 1,500 people this year and has been waging an insurgency in the country for the last five years.

Advertisement