UK & World News
Liquid Nitrogen Drinks 'Should Be Banned'
An MP is calling for a ban on liquid nitrogen being served in drinks after a teenager who drank a cocktail containing the chemical had to have her stomach removed.
Gaby Scanlan needed the emergency surgery to save her life after drinking the cocktail while on a night out with friends to celebrate her 18th birthday.
David Morris - the Conservative MP for Morecambe and Lunesdale, the area where the A-level student lives - will now ask Parliament to ban the use of the chemical in drinks.
Speaking from his office in Skerton, Lancashire, Mr Morris said: "I am very angry that one of my constituents has been injured by liquid nitrogen, and as far as I am concerned that is one constituent too many.
"Parliament returns following recess this week and I will be assessing the options to make Parliament aware of what has happened to Gaby. I will ask MPs to consider banning liquid nitrogen drinks before someone else is injured or even killed."
Last week, Mr Morris wrote to the Prime Minister, the chairman of the Food Standards Agency (FSA) and Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt to ask for their support with his campaign.
The FSA is currently warning people against drinking liquid nitrogen on its website.
"Its extreme cold temperature makes it unsafe for people to drink and eat because the human body is unable to cope with such a cold internal temperature," the watchdog advises.
Scientists have also expressed concern.
Malcolm Povey, professor of food physics at Leeds University, said: "The idea that people put this stuff in drinks is just unbelievable."
Ms Scanlan began feeling breathless after consuming two 'Nitro Jagermeister' drinks at Oscar's in Lancaster city centre earlier this month.
She was rushed to hospital where the emergency operation took place.
The wine bar has stopped selling the cocktail and an investigation is being carried out by police and the city council.
Use of the chemical by bars remains legal.