UK & World News
New York City: Power Being Switched Back On
Energy companies have been working day and night to restore power to parts of New York devastated by the powerful Sandy storm.
In the last 24 hours, engineers in Manhattan have managed to repair 11 power grids damaged by the high winds and storm surge.
Around 5,800 homes were still without electricity in Manhattan as of Saturday morning.
The worst-hit area of New York remains Queens - with 81,000 people still without power. Brooklyn and Staten Island both have 31,000 and the Bronx has 25,000 without electricity.
A statement from energy firm Con Edison said it had now restored power to 70% of customers - around 645,000 homes.
It said: "The hurricane is the worst natural disaster to strike Con Edison's customers in the company's history.
"Crews are facing thousands of downed wires in New York City and Westchester County.
"Some cannot be re-energised since they are in flood zones with damage that bars the safe re-introduction of electricity."
Andrew Cuomo, the governor of New York, has also said that 80% of the city's subway system has now been restored.
He also urged local people not to panic about a fuel shortage, and said petrol supplies were on the way.
"Do not panic. I know there is anxiety about fuel," he said. "The situation has been remedied. Gas stations will be getting fuel."
A lot of repair and clean-up work remains on the US East Coast, with parts of New Jersey also badly hit by the storm on Monday night and facing being cut off from electricity until the middle of November.
Motorists in 12 New Jersey counties will only be allowed to buy petrol every other day under order of governor Chris Christie.
Petrol stations have seen long queues and angry scenes as people attempt to fill up after the storm.
President Barack Obama said: "We still have a long way to go to make sure the people of New Jersey, Connecticut, New York and some of the other surrounding areas get their basic needs taken care of and we start moving back to normalcy.
"It is critical for us to get power back on as quickly as possible. It is a painstaking process but we are making progress.
"As we start seeing the weather get a little bit colder people can't be without power for long periods of time."
In his weekly radio address he added: "We're Americans, when times are tough, we're tougher. We put others first. We go that extra mile.
"We open our hearts and our homes to one another, as one American family. We recover, we rebuild, we come back stronger - and together we will do that once more."
The official death toll for those in the US now stands at 109 people, on top of at least 69 people killed when Sandy tore through the Caribbean.
Estimates put the total damage up to $50bn (£30bn), according to forecasting firm Eqecat - making it the second costliest after Hurricane Katrina.
It comes after mayor Michael Bloomberg finally agreed to cancel the New York Marathon after outrage from residents left homeless or beset by power cuts.
The U-turn came just three hours after he defended the decision to hold it.
Concerns were raised that the city's already stretched police force would be redeployed to patrol the race from carrying out relief work and storm victims could be evicted from hotels to make room for people taking part.
There had been growing anger too at the thought of big generators being brought in to power equipment at the finish-line tents in Central Park, while vast swathes of the city's population were still struggling without electricity.
Mr Bloomberg said: "It is clear that it has become the source of controversy and division.
"The marathon has always brought our city together and inspired us with stories of courage and determination.
"We would not want a cloud to hang over the race or its participants, and so we have decided to cancel it.
"We cannot allow a controversy over an athletic event - even one as meaningful as this - to distract attention away from all the critically important work that is being done to recover from the storm and get our city back on track."
An estimated 40,000 runners from around the world had been expected to take part in the 26.2-mile event.