UK & World News
Parents Admit Giving Teething Baby Heroin
The parents of a baby boy who died of heroin intoxication have admitted rubbing the drug on his gums because he was teething.
The 11-month-old, known only as Baby JM, died in 2008 and for nearly four years it was unclear how he ingested the heroin.
But investigators obtained new information in the case in October, leading them to believe the infant's exposure to the drug was not accidental.
Prosecutors in Ocean County, New Jersey, said Denise Manco, 35, and Rondell Moore, 37, have now pleaded guilty to one count of second-degree manslaughter.
They face up to 10 years in prison at their sentencing, which is set for February 22.
Both defendants admitted placing heroin in the baby's mouth and rubbing it on his gums because he was teething, authorities said.
A toxicology report in 2008 showed the baby had died of acute heroin intoxication.