latest music news
Officers 'remain under threat'
Officers remain under threat after the deaths of two policewomen in a grenade and gun attack, the Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police has warned.
Sir Peter Fahy said he could not be sure all the explosive devices had been recovered from the area where Pcs Nicola Hughes and Fiona Bone were attacked.
Two men have been arrested and are being questioned over their deaths - Dale Cregan, 29, who was one of the country's most wanted men, and a 28-year-old.
The second man was detained in the Hattersley area today on suspicion of conspiracy to murder, Sir Peter said.
Cregan, who was wanted for questioning over the deaths of father and son David and Mark Short, handed himself over to police shortly after the two officers were killed.
It is understood that a desk officer kept him talking while an armed unit was scrambled to the scene, and he was arrested.
Speaking to reporters, Sir Peter said: "We are not confident that we have recovered all the grenades, we don't know for certain, so we've made it clear to our officers that the threat is still there.
"I would want that to be the message, this has been a long-standing criminal feud between different outfits in Manchester and in the Tameside area, and that threat is very much there."
He said that the force had issued Osman warnings - notices given to people under threat of being murdered or seriously injured - to "a large number of individuals".
Pc Bone, whose family flew over from the Isle of Man, died at the scene of the attack, while Pc Hughes died a short time later in hospital.
Sir Peter said that the force's main priority today had been supporting their families "who clearly have a huge amount to come to terms with".
He said: "I would like to say how impressed we've been by the dignity of these families.
"Both have said how proud they were of Nicola and Fiona, and how proud those two officers were to serve the public. Both families have separately said that their loved ones died doing the job they loved."
He reiterated that the force had no intelligence about the address in Abbey Gardens where the pair were sent, and therefore there was nothing to indicate a greater than normal threat.
Sir Peter suggested that the two officers had been lured to their deaths, telling a press conference that a call had been made reporting a burglary at the address.
The force said that one of the officers' Tasers was found on the ground out of its holster at the scene.
Eyewitnesses said a hail of bullets was fired and then a grenade was used during the attack.
Thousands of tributes poured in for the pair, including from the Queen, and the force held a minute's silence in their memory at 11am, almost precisely 24 hours since the attack.
Ms Hughes's family said they were "exceedingly proud" of her, while Sir Peter said Ms Bone was a "calm, gentle" woman and an "excellent bobby".
Home Secretary Theresa May cut short her holiday to go and meet the Chief Constable in the wake of the deaths.
Four men have already been charged in connection with Mark Short's murder and will enter pleas at Manchester Crown Court in November.
A 33-year-old man and a 24-year-old man have been charged with the gun and grenade murder of David Short.
The two men accused of the murder of David Short are due to enter their pleas at Manchester Crown Court on November 9, with a provisional trial date set for next March.