UK & World News

  • 30 January 2014, 5:02

Rob Ford: Mayor Sued Over 'Jail Assault Plot'

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford is being sued by his sister's boyfriend for allegedly conspiring to have him beaten up in jail.

A lawsuit filed on Wednesday by Scott MacIntyre alleges the mayor was behind an assault at a Toronto jail in March 2012 that was intended to keep him quiet about Mr Ford's abuse of alcohol and drugs.

It claims MrMacIntyre was threatened with "dire consequences" if he did not remain quiet.

He was in jail after being charged with threatening the mayor that he would expose his "unsavoury activities", according to the lawsuit.

Mr MacIntyre alleges that Mr Ford conspired with Payman Aboodowleh, who coached football with the mayor, to have one of their former players - in jail at the time - beat him up.

The lawsuit claims Mr Ford and Mr Aboodowleh arranged for staff members at the Metro West Detention Centre to "ensure there was no supervision or surveillance of the area" where the alleged assault took place.

The victim suffered a broken leg and teeth during the assault.

He told The Globe and Mail: "They wanted to know if I was going to do the right thing - was I going to keep my mouth shut."

Mr Ford's lawyer, Dennis Morris, said the allegations are "without fact or foundation".

The lawsuit also names Ontario's Ministry of Correctional Services, which is responsible for the province's jails, Mr Aboodowleh and Aedan Petros, the former football player alleged to have carried out the attack.

MacIntyre is seeking $1m (540,000) in damages.

Mr Ford said in November that he had quit drinking alcohol after having a "come to Jesus moment".

He also acknowledged last year that he had smoked crack cocaine "in one of my drunken stupors".

But he refused to resign, and earlier this month put his name on a ballot turn for another term as mayor.

:: Watch Sky News live on television, on Sky channel 501, Virgin Media channel 602, Freeview channel 82 and Freesat channel 202.

Advertisement