UK & World News
Rolf Harris Plan To Appeal 'An Insult'
One of Rolf Harris' victims has told Sky News his request to appeal his conviction is "an insult".
Lawyers for the disgraced entertainer lodged papers at the Court of Appeal this week, the Judicial Office has revealed.
One of the women who gave evidence against him during the trial told Sky News: "I perhaps should have expected it but it is still a shock."
The victim who cannot be named added: "It feels like such an insult and just beyond belief for him to do that."
The artist and musician was convicted at London's Southwark Crown Court on June 30 of 12 indecent assaults and sentenced to five years and nine months in jail.
The appeal papers will go before a single judge who will decide initially whether or not Harris has grounds for appeal.
The Judicial Office confirmed to Sky News that no timescale had yet been set for the process.
If permission to appeal is granted then a full hearing at the Court of Appeal would fully assess Harris' case.
If, however, he is denied permission to appeal then he would be able to reapply.
One of the assaults was on an eight-year-old autograph hunter, two on girls in their early teens and another on a close friend of his daughter.
Earlier this week, Attorney General Jeremy Wright confirmed Harris' sentence would not be referred to the Court of Appeal on the grounds that it was too lenient, despite 150 complaints that the jail term was not tough enough.
The artist and TV presenter's offences took place between 1968 and 1986 against girls aged between seven or eight and 18.
He was prosecuted in line with the laws in place at the time of his crimes - when the maximum jail term for indecent assault was two years, or five years if the victim was under 13.