UK & World News
Charles And Camilla 'Attack Plan': NZ Man Held
Police in New Zealand have arrested a man on suspicion of planning to attack the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall, according to reports.
The man, in his 70s, had been spotted on CCTV carrying an unidentified item, said New Zealand state broadcaster TVNZ.
He is believed to have been an anti-royal protester.
"A 74-year-old was arrested for preparing to commit an assault before the arrival of the royal couple," the officer told Fairfax Media.
But Fairfax added that the unnamed man got "nowhere near" the royal couple.
He is expected to appear at Auckland District Court on Tuesday.
A royal source told Sky News: "This was an isolated case as thousands turned out to greet Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall.
"The royal couple couldn't have been welcomed more warmly as they conducted their walkabout during a successful day in Auckland."
Security on royal tours is the principle responsibility of the host country's police force.
But security at each event or engagement is considered in close consultation with the Metropolitan Police travelling with the royal party.
Charles and Camilla are coming to the end of their tour of Australia and New Zealand marking the Queen's diamond jubilee.
Their visit to Auckland's waterfront passed without incident and they will remain in New Zealand until the end of the week.