UK & World News
Royal Hospital: Nurse 'Victim Of Cruel Hoax'
The nurse at the centre of a royal prank call was the "victim of a cruel hoax", a hospital has insisted.
King Edward VII Hospital stressed Jacintha Saldanha was not subject to any disciplinary procedure and that there had been no criticism of her.
In a statement released as the hospital held a memorial service for the nurse, who took her own life, it said it had offered her support in the aftermath of the hoax call.
The comments come after claims in The Guardian that Ms Saldanha left three notes, one of which criticised staff at the hospital.
The hospital said it could not comment on the contents of the notes found in Ms Saldhana's room in the nurses accommodation because it had not seen them.
The statement said: "There have been reports today about the alleged contents of one of the notes found in Jacintha's room. No-one at the hospital has seen these notes, and so we cannot comment on the reports or their accuracy."
It added: "Following the hoax call, hospital management offered her their support and told her that they considered her the victim of a cruel hoax. They stood by her actions, and made it clear there was no criticism of her, and that there would be no disciplinary action of any kind."
The hospital held a memorial service to allow friends and colleagues to pay their respects, a week after Ms Saldanha's death.
Lord Glenarthur, the chairman of the hospital, which has a long history of treating members of the royal family, insisted the hospital had been in contact with the family since Ms Saldanha's death and staff were helping police to determine what had happened.
Ms Saldhana killed herself just days after answering a prank telephone call from Australian DJs Michael Christian and Mel Greig to the hospital, where the Duchess of Cambridge was being treated for severe morning sickness.
The DJs from the station 2DayFM pretended to be Prince Charles and the Queen and were asking for an update on her health. Ms Saldanha put them through to the ward where the duchess was being treated.
The inquest into the 46-year-old nurse's death opened on Thursday. It heard Ms Saldhana was found in her room in the nurses accommodation close to the hospital. She had hanged herself and there were also marks on her wrists.
The mother-of-two left three notes: two were found in her room and the other among her personal possessions.
As many as 12 staff from the radio station have been moved to safehouses after death threats to the radio hosts and 10 executives have been given bodyguards.
Australian police have launched an investigation into the threats and have seized a letter sent to Mr Christian warning him there were "bullets out there with your name on it".
Southern Cross Austereo, the parent company of the radio station, said: "The safety of our employees is an absolute priority. We have sensible measures in place, as we always do, to ensure our people are safe."
:: Anyone feeling emotionally distressed or suicidal can call Samaritans for help on 08457 90 90 90 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Hello, regular commenting on Orange News and Sport pages closes on Thursday 30 May 2013. We will continue to provide a commenting facility on major news and sport events on orangeworld.co.uk. Contact us via http://oran.ge/OWfeedback if you have any further questions. Thanks.
what do you think?
The day i believe this story will be the day i get my brain exchanged for a cauliflower. Even les family don't buy it. Her apparent suicide is fast becoming a conspiracy theory. Some dark forces at work here.
This comment has been removed for violations of our Terms and Conditions.
How maney more days will this go on leave the family in peace
Mark, After reading your comment concerning the lie detector test for a 14 year old rape victim, I did a little checking myself. You may be interested to know that the radio station is currently serving 2 five year licence probation periods for serious breaches of Australia's broadcasting code. One of these probations is for the incident concerning the lie detector test you spoke of. It seems they have "previous" for this sort of stunt and have committed a lot worse than this one..............
What is happening now is called 'pass the parcel', 'who can we blame' and 'find a scapegoat'. What really happened was a silly (not cruel) prank which went wrong not something malicious or intentionally nasty. Very sad about the nurse who obviously had other problems but the family should now be left alone.
Best summing up since this all started! Well said Mike!
Mike, This one may have been "silly" rather than "cruel"but the station concerned do have a history of some very cruel stunts. On one occasion, they claimed to have collected $150.000 for the family of a disabled child, then when the family contacted them for the money, they were given a list of names and addresses and told to collect it themselves. They only managed to collect $50.000 Check out their history on the Internet............
Further to my last Mike. The source of that story re disabled child was ABC news.
Think there's more to this than the hoax call but time will tell
what yet another version