latest music news
Court grants Kate photos injunction
A French court has granted an injunction against further publication and sale of pictures showing the Duchess of Cambridge sunbathing topless.
The Tribunal de Grande Instance in Nanterre, Paris, ordered France's Closer magazine to hand over all copies of the images it published last week and banned their resale.
Tuesday's ruling only affects the French magazine and does not to extend to publications in Ireland and Italy which have also used the pictures.
It also prevents French Closer, which is run by a different company to the British version, from using the photos on its website and tablet application.
Italian publishing group Mondadori has argued the photos are not theirs to sell and said they are already "out there".
The scandal surrounding the pictures erupted on Friday when the magazine used 14 images of Kate and William enjoying private holiday moments at Chateau d'Autet, near Aix-en-Provence.
Their robust response to the pictures came after St James's Palace said in a statement that a red line had been crossed.
Lawyers for the royal couple have asked France's criminal prosecutors to consider charging the photographer who took the pictures.
The court described the pictures as a "brutal display" of the Duke and Duchess's private lives and required them to be handed over within the next 24 hours.
In its ruling, the court said: "These snapshots which showed the intimacy of a couple, partially naked on the terrace of a private home, surrounded by a park several hundred metres from a public road, and being able to legitimately assume that they are protected from passers-by, are by nature particularly intrusive."
Mondadori France faces a 10,000 euro (£8,070) fine for each day the injunction is not respected.
Publication of the pictures by the Irish Daily Star led on Monday to the suspension of the newspaper's editor.
Michael O'Kane now faces an investigation by the paper's Ireland-based co-proprietors, Independent News and Media (INM).
Jointly owned by Richard Desmond's Northern and Shell, the Irish Daily Star's decision to run the pictures on Saturday infuriated the media mogul.
Mr Desmond has said he wants it shut down with insiders at his corporation warning "he says what he means, and means what he says".
Alan Shatter, the Irish Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence said yesterday the Republic will introduce privacy laws on the back of the scandal.
Mondadori-owned Italian gossip magazine Chi also published a 26-page spread with the topless photos.
The Mondadori stable is controlled by controversial former Italian prime minister and media magnate Silvio Berlusconi.
Chi editor Alfonso Signorini also defended his decision to use the pictures, claiming they were permissible under Italian privacy laws and satisfied the curiosity of readers.
William and Kate have spent the penultimate day of their Diamond Jubilee tour enjoying a series of events in the South Pacific country of Tuvalu.
A source said the royal couple had been focused on the Tuvalu visit but "they welcome the injunction that's been granted, they always believed the law was broken and that they were entitled to their privacy".