Financial News

  • 22 April 2014, 6:39

Sainsbury's Sultana Recall On Salmonella Fear

Sainsbury's is recalling 500g packs of its SO Organic Sultanas as a precuation after salmonella bacteria was detected in routine testing.

The announcement was made by the Food Standards Agency (FSA), which advised shoppers who had purchased the packs not to eat the contents but return them to Sainsbury's for a full refund.

All date codes of 500g SO Organic Sultanas were affected by the recall, the FSA said, while it also confirmed that no other Sainsbury's products were known to be involved and no-one has been reported to have been taken ill.

The supermarket chain said: "We are recalling Sainsbury's So Organic Sultanas (500g packs) because low levels of salmonella were found during routine testing.

"Food safety is our top priority so we immediately took this product off display and, as a precautionary measure, we are asking customers who have bought these sultanas to return them to their nearest Sainsbury's store where they will receive a full refund.

"We apologise to customers for any concern and inconvenience this causes."

The company added that the affected packs were removed from shelves yesterday and while the product was popular at Christmas time, sales are significantly lower at this time of year.

The Public Health England website gives this advice on Salmonella: "Anyone can get salmonella, but young children, the elderly and people whose immune systems are not working properly have a greater risk of becoming severely ill.

"Symptoms include watery diarrhoea, stomach cramps and sometimes vomiting and fever.

"These symptoms usually last for four to seven days and clear up without treatment, but if you become seriously ill you may need to be treated for dehydration (fluid loss) caused by the illness.

"Transmission occurs by eating contaminated food, mainly of animal origin, or by faecal contamination from an infected person or animal."

The last major outbreak reported in Britain occurred last year when bacteria, linked to Butchers' ham, left more than 50 people sick.

Advertisement