UK & World News
Contaminated Sausage Linked To 12 Deaths
Contaminated sausage has been linked to an outbreak of listeriosis that has killed 12 people in Denmark.
Health officials said a further eight people have so far tested positive for the disease, which kills around a quarter of those who contract it.
It is thought they all ate rolled pork sausage supplied by Danish company Jorn A Rullepolser, whose products have now been withdrawn from sale.
The outbreak of listeriosis began last September but gained momentum in recent months, with 15 new cases reported since June.
All those who contracted the disease were aged 43-89 with underlying health problems and the Danish state health agency SSI said the outbreak is believed to be under control.
Listeriosis is a food-borne infection caused by the bacterium listeria monocytogenes, with meat, smoked fish and soft cheese among the most high risk foods.
Cancer patients, pregnant women and those with diabetes or blood disorders are particularly susceptible to the disease.
Symptoms include fever, weakness, diarrhoea and vomiting but an incubation period of up to 70 days can make it difficult to find the source of any infection.