UK & World News
Savile 'Was Barred' From Children In Need
Jimmy Savile was barred from any involvement with the Children In Need charity, former BBC governor Sir Roger Jones has claimed.
Despite the late presenter's fundraising efforts, which resulted in millions going to good causes, Sir Roger - a former chairman of the charity - said he had been uncomfortable about allowing Savile to have any association with it.
Although he had "no evidence" that Savile was up to anything, he said he found the Jim'll Fix It star's behaviour to be strange, describing him as a "pretty creepy sort of character".
He told Sky News: "There were certain rumours about his behaviour, nothing proven, just allegations. All that we could do was to make sure that our child protection policies were strong enough to withstand any kind of attack."
He said it would have been impossible to make any claims about Savile without hard evidence but, as the charity was trying to protect itself, it did not need evidence.
He added: "I had no evidence. I'm not someone that would make unwarranted allegations. I'm sure my fellow governors would not have been too pleased to have uncorroborated accusations made.
"As long as my patch was absolutely clear, the charity was clear, that was all I could really do."
Sir Roger said he did not remember suspicions about Savile being discussed at any meeting of the BBC governors.
It is a year since Savile's death. At the time he was saluted for his charity work and long TV career. Now, he has been described as a predatory paedophile and one of Britain's most prolific sex offenders.
His ex-girlfriend Donna Foot told Sky News she feels "disgusted" by the revelations about him.
"I'm absolutely disgusted, I'm absolutely ashamed and I'm revolted," she said.
The couple had a 15-year relationship, and in 1999 Ms Foot fell pregnant but decided she couldn't keep the baby because Savile "didn't like children".
"He said the only way he liked children was when you could give them back." she added.
On Sunday, former pop star Gary Glitter became the first high-profile arrest under Scotland Yard's Operation Yewtree, which is looking at child sex abuse allegations against Savile and others.
Police have drawn up a detailed arrest strategy for other suspects, as 30 officers work through 300 claims of abuse.
Met Police Commissioner Bernard Hogan-Howe said police and other organisations missed the pattern of Savile's alleged sex offending while he was alive.
Meanwhile, Savile's own great niece told Sky News that too many people turned a blind eye for too long.
"The rewards they got from Jimmy Savile's name and everything else kept them in a lifestyle that they became accustomed to," said Caroline Robinson.
Rick Parfitt, from rock band Status Quo, said he too was unsurprised by the Savile allegations.
"A lot of us, like everybody else, we all kind of knew. We were all kind of suspicious of Jimmy Savile. We all felt 'there's something not right there'," he told The Daily Telegraph.
"But we didn't know what, and it was kind of in the back of our minds. But you could never quite suss him out. We did so many Top Of The Pops, so many Jim'll Fix Its."
Parfitt added it was common for young women of 17 or 18 to be found in dressing rooms with famous acts.
"If you watch those early editions of Top of the Pops, all the girls there have got skirts up to their chins. There were a lot of girls knocking around downstairs and people would invite them down to the dressing room."
Over the weekend, Savile's Highland cottage was targeted by vandals, with graffiti spray-painted across the outside.
"Jimmy the beast" was written on the wall of the remote holiday home outside the village of Glencoe, and the door was badly damaged.
Former Court of Appeal judge Dame Janet Smith has started the first of two independent inquiries.
It will focus on whether the culture and practises at the BBC allowed Savile to carry out his abuse.
A further review will examine current sexual harassment policies at the corporation.