UK & World News
School Shooting: Two Survivors 'Will Shed Light'
Two adults injured in the school shooting in Connecticut have survived and will be a crucial part of the investigation, US police have said.
The two are recovering from gunshot wounds suffered during the rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut State Police Lt Paul Vance told a news conference.
He said investigators would "speak with them when it's medically appropriate and they will shed a great deal of light on the facts and circumstances of this tragic investigation".
Police are working 24 hours a day on the case and are planning to interview many witnesses. They have vowed to analyse all evidence, including every single round of ammunition.
Officers have warned that anyone giving authorities information that was intended to mislead investigators could be prosecuted.
In the town of Ridgefield, about 20 miles (32 kilometres) from Newtown, police investigated reports of a suspicious man, possibly armed, and ordered a lockdown of two schools.
But after a few hours, police said they had found no dangerous activity and ended the lockdown. A police presence remained at each school.
"The police have given the all clear," the town's public schools said in an announcement on their website. "After an extensive police search, no dangerous activity was discovered."
Earlier, a town official said a motorist travelling on Route 7 told police he saw a man with a rifle.
Branchville Elementary buses had been diverted to East Ridge Middle School and Branchville Elementary School students had been kept in the auditorium.
On Friday, gunman Adam Lanza shot dead his mother at the home they shared, and then drove to Sandy Hook where he killed 20 children and six adults before turning the gun on himself.
The massacre shocked the United States, rekindling a debate over gun control.
California police arrested a man on Sunday for allegedly posting Facebook threats against unspecified elementary schools, including by referring to the Newtown massacre.
The suspect, Kyle Bangayan, 24, was arrested at his parents' Los Angeles home, where a cache of nine weapons including rifles and handguns was found, as well as ammunition, a police spokesman said.
No arms were found at Mr Bangayan's own home in Pomona, east of Los Angeles, said LA Police Department spokesman Richard French.
The threats "did not target specific schools but did reference the Connecticut school shooting", he said.
Students in the Los Angeles Unified School District are currently out of school on winter break.
US President Barack Obama told the families of the 26 people killed at Sandy Hook that mass shooting tragedies "must end".
Speaking at a vigil in memory of the victims, he told an emotional audience: "Newtown, you are not alone."
He struggled to maintain his composure - and there was audible sobbing throughout the packed hall - as he read the first names of each of the 20 children killed in America's worst school shooting.
The first funerals for two victims - Noah Pozner and Jack Pinto, both six years old - were held on Monday.
what do you think?
I hope this is just someone's paranoia and not the beginnings of another massacre...
I bet it's one of the people we just read about buying guns to defend themselves against future Adam Lanzas.
They said the gunman shot his way into the school and started shooting without saying a word so what can the learn by putting the poor survivors through it again?