UK & World News
Secret Burial For Nazi War Criminal
A Nazi war criminal whose funeral sparked violent protests earlier this month will be buried in a secret location in Italy, says his lawyer.
Former SS officer Erich Priebke, responsible for the massacre of more than 300 people during the Second World War, died in October at the age of 100.
His lawyer, Paolo Giachini, announced the burial plans on Saturday following a lengthy legal dispute.
"We have an agreement with the authorities over the burial of Erich Priebke in a secret location," he said.
Priebke was to be buried in the Italian town of Albano Laziale, near Rome, but the funeral was called off following violent clashes between neo-Nazi sympathisers clashed and protesters.
Officials from his hometown in Berlin's Hennigsdorf refused to accept his remains, as did those in Argentina, where his wife is buried.
Earlier this month, the Vatican had issued an unprecedented order forbidding any Roman Catholic church in Rome from holding his funeral.
But a fringe right-wing group, the Catholic Society of St Pius (SSPX), went ahead with the ceremony on October 16.
Anti-fascist protesters kicked and spat on the hearse as it arrived for the start of the funeral and a priest was heckled with shouts of "shame".
At least two people were detained as clashes broke out and some people were seen fighting with bottles and chains.
His coffin was taken to a military airport outside Rome while officials considered what to do with the body.
Priebke was in charge of troops who massacred 335 civilians in the Ardeatine Caves in March 1944.
He had been living under house arrest in the Italian capital since being sentenced to life imprisonment for the killings in 1998.