UK & World News
Snakes Alive! Frightening Find In Kitchen
A woman who reached into her cutlery drawer had a big shock when instead of a spoon she found a snake curled up inside.
The woman had been making a cup of tea at her home in Aberdeen.
She rang the police, who called in the Scottish Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, which is now caring for the red, black and brown striped milk snake at its centre in Drumoak.
It is thought that the reptile, which staff have named Spooner, is a pet which may have escaped from somewhere nearby.
Animal rescue officer Lynne Craib said: "The poor woman got a real fright when she reached into the drawer to grab a teaspoon and found Spooner the snake instead.
"Spooner is in good condition, so we think he has been someone's pet until recently.
"Snakes need heat to survive and it was quite warm in the lady's kitchen, so that may be why Spooner went inside the drawer.
"We've rescued snakes from all sorts of unusual places over the last few months, including behind a washing machine and around a lamppost, but this is the first one found in a cutlery drawer.
"Snakes are really good escape artists, so there's every chance Spooner has an owner nearby who is missing him."
The snake was found on Friday. Milk snakes are not dangerous to humans.
Hello, regular commenting on Orange News and Sport pages closes on Thursday 30 May 2013. We will continue to provide a commenting facility on major news and sport events on orangeworld.co.uk. Contact us via http://oran.ge/OWfeedback if you have any further questions. Thanks.