UK & World News
UK Soldiers Laid To Rest 100 Years After WW1
Ten British soldiers who died in France during World War One and whose remains were found in 2009 have been formally identified.
The soldiers died in battle on October 18, 1914, while serving with the 2nd Battalion The York and Lancaster Regiment.
Their remains were discovered during construction work near the French village of Beaucamps-Ligney and have been identified from DNA samples.
:: As part of Sky News' coverage of the centenary of World War One, we have launched a twitter account and will tweet daily updates to followers on the events that took place from 1914 to 1918. You can follow it @SkyNewsWW1
Identification of the soldiers means their relatives - who were informed this week - will be able to see their forefathers laid to rest 100 years after the outbreak of war.
The soldiers are due to be reburied with full military honours at the Commonwealth War Grave Commission cemetery in October.
The event has been organised by the 4th Battalion The Yorkshire Regimen, which traces its history back to The York and Lancaster Regiment.
The soldiers have been named as Private Herbert Ernest Allcock, Private John Brameld, Corporal Francis Carr Dyson, Private Walter Ellis and Private John Willie Jarvis.
Also identified are the remains of: Private Leonard Arthur Morley, Private Ernest Oxer, Private John Richmond, Private William Alfred Singyard and Lance Corporal William Henry Warr.
Maureen Simpson, granddaughter of Pte Brameld, of Sheffield, said: "I think it's wonderful, I think they've done a fantastic job, it just closes the book, doesn't it, it puts an end to wondering what happened to them.
"My father Arthur was only two when his father was killed, and used to go with the British Legion to France to look at the war graves, in the hope that he would be able to find him, but he never did before he died in 1979.
"I think my grandfather joined up when he was 18, then came out of the Army for about five or six years, and was in the reserve, working as a table blade grinder in Sheffield, and was then sent for when the war began."
Denise Womersley, great great great niece of Pte Ellis, said: "Obviously it is nice finally to know what happened to him. I had been researching the family tree and knew he was in the Army, but nothing more.
"Now he can be buried in the way that he deserved."
Defence Minister Lord Astor of Hever said: "Our thoughts remain with all those who have made the ultimate sacrifice in the service of our country.
"Although these soldiers fell almost a century ago, the Ministry of Defence still takes its responsibility extremely seriously to identify any remains found, trace and inform surviving relatives and to provide a fitting and dignified funeral so they rest in peace."
Work to identify a further five sets of remains found in the same village in 2009 is continuing.
A Ministry of Defence spokesman said a team of experts is working to identify the remains.
The team is particularly interested in speaking to the families of the following soldiers: Lance Sergeant George Edwardes, Private Horace Foster, Private Ross Jeff, Private Gavin Lowe, Private William Albert Sunderland and Private David Wilson Williams.
:: Anyone who thinks they might be related to these soldiers is asked to contact the Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre team on 01452 712612.