UK & World News
Suarez Bite Suspension: Uruguay FA To Appeal
Luis Suarez has been suspended for nine international matches and banned from all football activities for four months for biting an opponent.
The ruling means his World Cup is over and will come as a blow to his club Liverpool - who will be without their star player for the start of the Premier League season.
Uruguay's football federation has said it will appeal the ruling, described by its president Wilmar Valdez as "a severe punishment."
"It feels like Uruguay has been thrown out of the World Cup," he said in Rio de Janeiro. "Not having Suarez would be a loss to any team."
There has been no comment so far from the striker.
Fifa took action after Suarez sank his teeth into Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini's shoulder during Uruguay's Group D clash with Italy on Tuesday.
The world governing body has also banned the 27-year-old from entering any stadium where Uruguay are playing during his suspension - meaning he cannot cheer on his teammates when they play Colombia in their last 16 match on Saturday.
Suarez has also been fined 100,000 Swiss Francs (£66,000) and is banned from training with Uruguay or Liverpool as part of his punishment.
Fifa said Suarez and the Uruguay FA were informed of the decision on Thursday morning.
Despite the appeal Suarez will still not be able to continue playing in Brazil.
Claudio Sulser, chairman of the Fifa disciplinary committee, said: "Such behaviour cannot be tolerated on any football pitch and particularly at the World Cup."
This is the third time Suarez has been suspended for biting an opponent after similar incidents with Ajax in the Dutch league and Liverpool. in April 2013 he was given a 10-match ban by the Premier League for biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic.
The latest ban will not prevent Suarez from moving to a different club this summer but he could not play for them until the sanction ends. He has been linked with a transfer to Barcelona.
As a result of the suspension Suarez is likely to miss Liverpool's first nine Premier League fixtures and three Champions League group stage games.
The club's chief executive Ian Ayre said: "Liverpool Football Club will wait until we have seen and had time to review the Fifa Disciplinary Committee report before making any further comment."
Former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher suggested the ban could push the club to sell Suarez, telling Sky Sports News: "They may think now's the time to cash in."
Sportswear manufacturer Adidas, which sponsors both Suarez and the World Cup, has said it fully supports Fifa's decision and will not involve him in any further marketing activities during the rest of the tournament. It will not be dropping him, however.
"Adidas certainly does not condone Luis Suarez's recent behaviour and we will again be reminding him of the high standards we expect from our players," it said in a statement.
"We will discuss all aspects of our future partnership directly with Suarez and his team following the World Cup."
Suarez also has a relationship with 888poker which says it is "seriously reviewing" its relationship with him as it "will not tolerate any unsporting behaviour".