UK & World News
Chiellini Says Suarez Bite Ban Is 'Excessive'
The Italian footballer bitten by Luis Suarez at the World Cup has said the striker's four-month ban from football is "excessive".
Giorgio Chiellini said he had "no feelings of revenge or anger" towards the Uruguayan after Fifa's punishment ended his World Cup and barred him from the first three months of the Premier League season.
The defender spoke out after Suarez's grandmother said he had been victimised and treated barbarically, sobbing: "They chucked him out of there like a dog."
Lila Piriz Da Rosa, who has 22 grandchildren, wept as she accused the authorities of having "their eyes on him" from the start of the World Cup.
She said: "Everyone knows what they've done to Luis. They wanted him out of the World Cup.
"Perfect, they did it. They chucked him out of there like a dog."
Speaking from Suarez's birthtown in Salto, north-west Uruguay, she added: "This was on purpose. I'm his granny and I love my boy loads.
"They had their eyes on him to see what he does. It's barbaric what they've done to him."
World soccer's governing body suspended Suarez from all football-related activity for four months on Thursday.
He was also banned from playing in Uruguay's next nine competitive games for biting Chiellini.
As the fall out continues, one of Suarez's sponsors confirmed it was ending its deal with the player.
Online betting firm 888poker said it hired the striker following his "fantastic season" for Liverpool but added: "We have decided to terminate our relationship with immediate effect."
Suarez, who wears his family affections on his sleeve, moved to Montevideo when he was six.
About 500 fans gathered outside the Uruguayan capital's Carrasco airport to express solidarity with Suarez and chant his name.
Some had been waiting for hours, waving Uruguay flags, posters of Suarez and replicas of the World Cup trophy.
Airport authorities said, however, that he was to be whisked out privately and to his home in the coastal resort of Solymar, about 25 miles outside Montevideo.
Some reports suggested the player is yet to leave Brazil, although if he is still in the country, he will be unable to watch any of his team's matches as the Fifa ban also stops him entering any stadiums.
Meanwhile, World Cup fever continues to grip the United States after the country progressed to the knockout stage of the tournament.
Around 200,000 American fans have travelled to Brazil but many more have flocked to big screens and bars back home to cheer on the national side.