UK & World News
Taliban Fighters 'All Killed' After Kabul Siege
Fighting with insurgents in Kabul has ended after an 18-hour siege that began on Sunday, police have said.
The Taliban launched a series of co-ordinated attacks in the Afghan capital in what they called the start of a "spring offensive".
The strike was part of a series of attacks on Western embassies, Nato bases and the parliament building.
A spokesman for police in the city said all militants were killed.
Kabul police chief's spokesman Hashmatullah Stanikzai said: "The latest information we have about the Afghan parliament area is that the attack is over now and the only insurgent who was resisting has been killed."
Reports said fighting subsided this morning after Afghan forces repeatedly fired rocket-propelled grenades into a building in the centre of Kabul where insurgents began the attack.
Foreign Secretary William Hague said all staff at the British embassy escaped unharmed and there had been limited damage to British properties.
Lt Col Jimmie Cummings, a spokesman for the US-led coalition, said the US and German embassies, as well as coalition and Afghan government buildings, took direct and indirect fire.
A Taliban spokesman said the attacks were a message to Afghan and foreign forces, warning the insurgents remain strong and resilient.
Mr Hague paid tribute to the Afghan security forces on Sunday - who are now in full control of the city - for their response to the attacks.
"The Afghan National Security Forces responded to the attacks bravely, promptly and effectively, once again illustrating the significant progress that has been made in ensuring that Afghans can look after their own security," he said.
"Britain stands with the government and people of Afghanistan as they work to build a peaceful future."
The attacks may prompt fears that the Taliban will intensify its campaign in the run-up to the planned withdrawal of British troops by the end of 2014.