UK & World News

  • 11 December 2012, 15:26

Teen Arrested Over Racist Man U Derby Tweet

A 15-year-old boy has been arrested over a racist tweet directed at a Manchester United player sent during Sunday's derby.

Greater Manchester Police have said that the teenager was held on Monday night on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence.

An investigation was launched after a message was directed at a Manchester United player during the game against Manchester City.

The boy has been bailed pending further inquiries.

Nine people have been charged in connection with Sunday's stormy Manchester derby, which United won 3-2 thanks to an injury time winner from Robin van Persie.

United and England defender Rio Ferdinand was left with a cut to his left eyebrow after being hit by a 2p coin while celebrating his team's last-gasp winning goal at the Etihad Stadium.

However, police say they have so far failed to track down the supporter who threw the coin.

A City fan, Matthew Stott, 21, had to be restrained by goalkeeper Joe Hart as he tried to confront Ferdinand, and was arrested.

The landscape gardener has since apologised for running on to the pitch.

In a statement released through his solicitor, he apologised to Ferdinand and the other players involved in the game.

"I am extremely ashamed of my actions. I have let myself down, my family down, my fellow fans down and Manchester City Football club," he said.

"I intend to write personally to Mr Ferdinand to express my extreme regret and apologies and also apologise to Manchester United and their fans. I would like to thank Joe Hart for his actions when I came on the pitch."

Nine men will appear in court in January.

Manchester City's Gareth Barry has also been charged by the FA for his behaviour after the match.

The midfielder is accused of "using abusive and/or insulting words towards a match official" following Sunday's loss.

Barry has until 4pm on Thursday to respond to the charge, which brings an automatic one-match ban.

Advertisement