UK & World News

  • 6 December 2013, 20:35

Teenager Electrocuted In Christmas Accident

A teenager has died in a freak electrocution accident while apparently searching for Christmas decorations in the loft of her house.

Georgia Marshall, 13, from Barry, South Wales, is thought to have been killed when a metal ladder inadvertently touched a live wire.

The schoolgirl was holding the step ladder while her father Richard, 54, searched for the decorations, according to local media.

The teenager, one of seven children, was from a family of animal lovers and grew up surrounded by horses, dogs and guinea pigs.

Her mother, Glenda Marshall, paid tribute to Georgia on Facebook.

"My beautiful light became a shining star today. Love u forever and will miss you till the day I die. My amazing Georgia. Words cannot say how I feel XXX," Mrs Marshall wrote.

She has also posted a photograph of Georgia taken last Christmas, with the message: "My Angel, Christmas 2012."

The accident happened on Saturday and Mrs Marshall thanked friends of the family who have been using the site to express their sympathies.

"This is so hard for us. I just wanted to thank everyone for all the support and offers of help this last couple of days," she wrote.

"Thank you to all the people who have taken and are going to take my guineas for me. This will help me out more than I can say.

"I won't ever get over this, but all your thoughts and help are so much appreciated by all of us here. THANK YOU."

Police are not treating the death of the teenager as suspicious.

A South Wales Police spokesman said: "Our thoughts and sympathies are with the family at this tragic time for them."

Advertisement