UK & World News
Three-Year-Old Dies In Blind Cord Tragedy
A three-year-old boy has died after becoming entangled in a blind cord, in an accident described as being "felt by the entire community".
Police are investigating the death of the boy, on Saturday evening, in Mayobridge in County Down, Northern Ireland.
A police spokesman said there were no suspicious circumstances.
Sinn Fein MLA Caitriona Ruane expressed her sympathy to the victim's family.
She said: "This tragic accident has been felt by the entire community and I would like to extend my condolences to the family. Our thoughts are with them at this time."
According to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, at least 25 deaths across the UK since 1999 have been blamed on blind cords.
In October the daughter of one of the wealthiest men in Britain, the Norwegian shipping tycoon Morten Hoegh, died as the result of such an accident.
Alexandra Lucy Hoegh, two, was found suspended and unconscious by her nanny and mother Dana at their west London home.
The inquest into her death heard Alexandra was "very adept" at climbing in and out of her cot, using a table next to it.
The cot was by the window, which had a roller blind fitted.