UK & World News

  • 7 March 2014, 18:57

Blackpool Toddler Died After Drinking Methadone

A two-year-old girl died after ingesting the synthetic heroin substitute methadone.

Sophie Jones was taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital from a house in Jameson Street, Blackpool, Lancashire, on Tuesday night but later died.

Officers saidmethadone was removed from the house either shortly before or just after paramedics arrived.

They are also investigating whether the little girl had ingested alcohol.

Detective Superintendent Paul Withers, ofLancashirePolice, said: "I will not leave a stone unturned to identify and ascertain howSophiedied.

"We're all very very determined to find some justice forSophieand to try and identify why this beautiful two-year-old child, little girl, is now dead.

"As a result of our enquiries I believe that a substance was removed from the address onJamesonStreet either shortly before paramedics arrived or after, and I believe that substance to be methadone.

"Methadone is green in colour and in this instance may not necessarily be in a clearly identified medicine bottle."

Detectives have been granted more time to question a 29-year-old woman and a 41-year-old man. They are being held on suspicion of manslaughter and attempting the pervert the course of justice.

A 65-year-old woman and a 60-year-old man were also arrested, but later released.

Apost-mortemexamination has failed to ascertain the cause of death.

:: Anyone with information should contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

:: Watch Sky News live on television, on Sky channel 501, Virgin Media channel 602, Freeview channel 82 and Freesat channel 202.