UK & World News
Tourists Left On Drips After Sickness Bug
British holidaymakers have told how they needed intravenous drips after contracting a sickness bug while at a four-star Egyptian resort.
Tourists took to the TripAdvisor review website to express their anger after suffering from diarrhoea, sickness and fever at the Coral Sea Waterworld in Sharm el Sheikh.
One poster, Bristols, wrote: "Sickness and diarrhoea was rife throughout the hotel, seven out of our party of nine were really poorly including myself.
"I became ill on the second night and was unable to eat, drink, use the pools or waterpark for the whole holiday.
"I had two drips, injections, antibiotics, tablets coming out of my ears."
Another, tim308, wrote: "Just as I was recovering from my illness when my wife was struck down with one far worse, sickness, diarrhoea, stomach cramps and fever that continued for the duration of our holiday and is still not 100% now."
And Rebecca R added: "By 3am on the Tuesday morning went down with terrible diarrhoea, feeling sick and raging temperature, spent the next few days mainly lying on the bathroom floor, never felt so ill."
Reports claim staff at the resort were made to wear latex gloves after the sickness bug broke out and extra doctors were brought in to cope with the numbers of people becoming ill.
Simpson Millar LLP Solicitors is representing a group of between 70 and 80 people who became unwell while staying at the resort.
Nick Harris, head of international travel law at the firm, said: "At present we are representing approximately 70-80 holiday makers who fell ill with gastric infections, including Shigella, whilst on holiday at Coral Sea Waterworld in Egypt.
"This figure is rising sharply, as we continue to receive calls from holiday makers returning from the resort complaining of vomiting, diarrhoea and painful stomach cramps.
"This is a serious outbreak at a hotel supplied by the UK's most prominent tour operators, Thomson and First Choice."
On its website, Simpson Millar states: "Complaints include cases of faecal contamination incidents in swimming pools, undercooked buffet food and the use of what seemed to be untreated water to irrigate the hotel lawns and gardens."
A statement from First Choice Holidays said: "First Choice is aware of a small number of cases of sickness at the Coral Sea Water World, Egypt, with symptoms similar to a virus.
"Reported cases of sickness have reduced and an independent health and safety consultant has been undertaking a thorough investigation in resort, ensuring that the correct containment procedures are in place.
"We would like to reassure customers that we closely audit all the resorts to which we operate to ensure that health, hygiene and comfort levels are maintained."
In May 2013, five-year-old Chloe Johnson, from Forest Hill, southeast London, drowned in one of the swimming pools at the hotel.