UK & World News
Tube Strike Called Off After Last-Ditch Talks
A three-day London Underground strike which had been due to start on Monday night has been suspended, the RMT union has said.
Members of the union had threatened to walk out from 9pm, but last-ditch talks led to it being called off.
Acting general secretary Mick Cash said: "Pre-conditions have been removed, protection of earnings has been agreed and we now have a viable framework for a proper review of the cuts and closures programme.
"As a result of that progress, secured directly through our members campaign of industrial action and the union's drive to get the facts across to the people of London, we are able to suspend the action due to commence this evening and further talks around the fundamental issues of cuts to jobs, services and safety will now take place."
Phil Hufton, chief operating officer of London Underground, said: "I am pleased that Londoners will not have to endure further strike action this week.
"The only way to resolve this dispute is for the RMT leadership to work with us to shape the future of the Tube in a changing world. It is good that they have committed to doing so alongside the three other unions involved."
The agreement was reached after discussions with the conciliation service Acas.
Mayor of London Boris Johnson said: "It is vital that we continue to reform the Tube for the benefit of our passengers.
"I'm delighted that hard-working Londoners and businesses across the capital will now be free to go about their work without the threat of needless industrial action."
A 48-hour strike last week caused major disruption in London as long queues formed at Underground stations and bus stops.
Business groups warned the strikes would cost the capital's economy millions of pounds.