UK & World News
Two-Year-Old Left In Van Dies in 32C Heat
A two-year-old girl has died after being left in a van for what police describe as an "extended period of time" in scorching temperatures.
Police spokesman Scott Leamon said the officers in Roanoke, Virginia, received a report of an unresponsive child at 4.27pm on Sunday and went to the scene.
An emergency crew from the fire service who arrived pronounced the girl dead at the scene.
Mr Leamon†said early inquiries indicate that a parent accidentally left the girl in a car seat in the van.
The van was parked in the driveway of a home in the 1500 block of Kenwood Boulevard Southeast, in the southeast part of the city, according to the Roanoke Times.
In a news release, Mr Leamon said: "At this state of the investigation, it appears that the child ... was accidentally left in the closed van by a parent for an extended period of time."
The papers said detectives have interviewed family members of the child and witnesses.
The National Weather Service said the temperature in Roanoke reached 90F†(32C) on Sunday afternoon.
The investigation is ongoing and Mr Leamon was unable to say whether the heat was thought to be responsible for the death or whether anyone would be charged.
The youngster has not been named. Her body has been taken to the medical examiner's office for an autopsy.