Two-year-old saves mum's life with 999 call
A two-year-old boy saved his sick mother's life by dialling 999 and calling an ambulance to his house.
When Riley Ward spotted that his mother had collapsed, he remembered what his parents had told him and called the emergency number.
The youngster, who had not long before started to talk, told the operator "mummy's asleep".
East Midlands Ambulance Service decided the call needed to be taken seriously and sent paramedics to the house in Barrow-upon-Soar, Leicestershire.
They found Ms Henry passed out and took her straight to hospital where it was discovered she had a large blood clot and dangerous bleed on her ovary.
She received treatment and made a full recovery but paramedics said it was only because of Riley that she had been saved.
On Monday the ambulance service rewarded the two-year-old with an award for his brave actions, saying they believe he is their youngest ever caller.
His mother Ms Henry said she had woken on the morning of February 5 with abdominal pains and collapsed after making a cup of tea.
"All I remember is the room getting smaller and smaller and then I opened my eyes when I heard a police officer trying to kick my door down," she said.
"When I gained consciousness I could see that Riley was sat on his toy box looking out of the window at the flashing blue lights.
"I managed to get up and open the door but then collapsed again.
"My head was blurred but I knew I didn't have to worry about Riley because I could hear him laughing in the kitchen with the police officer and an ambulance assistant."
Paul Staples, who was the first paramedic to arrive at the house, said: "When control radio come through and tell you a child has dialled 999 you are immediately concerned for both the child and the patient.
"When I got to Dana's house Riley was stood at the door with a big smile, I think he was excited that he had a police officer and a paramedic in his house.
"He was really interested in all of my equipment and kept coming back to check on his mummy.
"His family must be so proud of his actions; he is a really brave little boy."
Ms Henry said the surgeon told her she would have been "very poorly" if she hadn't gone into hospital.
She said: "I would never have rang 999 for myself on that day. I would have kept taking pain killers and hoping the pain would go away.
"It really scared me because if I didn't pass out and Riley didn't ring the ambulance, I may not be here today."
The 27-year-old, who lives with her partner Rob Ward, said: "Rob was just as surprised as I was when we realised Riley had dialled 999, we had drilled it into both of our children since they were old enough to understand numbers.
"They know that if mummy and daddy are poorly and they can't wake us up they should dial 999.
"It made me really proud that Riley knew what to do, we knew he remembered 999 but were so shocked that he was able to put it into action.
"He is mummy's little hero."