UK & World News
Wozniacki Serves Up Response To McIlroy Split
Caroline Wozniacki has thanked her fans for their support after fellow sports star Rory McIlroy ended the couple's engagement.
The champion golfer announced on Wednesday that his relationship with former world number one tennis player Wozniacki was over.
He issued a statement explaining he was not ready for marriage - despite having just sent out wedding invitations.
And his 23-year-old former fiancee broke cover over the break-up, writing on Twitter: "It's a hard time for me right now.
"Thanks for all the sweet messages! Happy I support Liverpool right now because I know I'll never walk alone."
The message came as Manchester United fan McIlroy partnered former Red Devils players Peter Schmeichel, Phil Neville and Teddy Sheringham in a pro-am tournament ahead of the BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth.
A statement from the 25-year-old golfer's representatives announcing the split said he would not discuss the situation further, but an upset McIlroy answered questions in his press conference just two hours later.
"I just want to get my head into golf this week and concentrate on the tournament and try and do well," McIlroy said.
"(I've) been playing well. The form's been good. I just want to dive straight into it and keep myself somewhat busy and just try and have a good week on the course.
"I'm not going to lie. It's going to be very difficult. But at least when I get inside the ropes (I can) just try and concentrate on the shot at hand."
Asked if he had been tempted to withdraw from an event, the Northern Irishman added: "No, I didn't think there was any reason to do that.
"I made a commitment to be here. It's the European Tour's flagship event. I'm very proud to be part of the European Tour. The European Tour have been very good to me over the last number of years and I thought it was my duty to come back and play in this event.
"Once I gave my word that I would, I wasn't going to go back on it."