Quirky News

  • 11 March 2014, 9:55

Vets got dog drunk to save his life

Charlie /Facebook

Vets in Australia saved a dog from certain death - by getting him drunk in a 48 hour vodka binge.

Charlie, a Maltese terrier, was taken to Animal Accident and Emergency in Melbourne suffering from ethylene glycol poisoning.

The chemical, commonly found in radiator and brake fluids, tastes sweet but causes kidney failure when ingested.

Staff wrote on the facility's blog: "In Australia, the only antidote we have is alcohol. Alcohol alters the chemical reaction and stops the kidney failure from occurring.

"Charlie had a tube placed through his nose to his stomach. Over about 48 hours, he was given successive doses of alcohol.

"The easiest form of alcohol is vodka. In fact for the whole weekend, Charlie had a huge party with us in the Pet ICU."

Charlie's owner Jacinta Rosewarne told the Herald Sun: "He was definitely drunk.

"He was stumbling around, I'd go to pat him and he'd push me away like a normal drunk person, he was vomiting a little, whining like a drunk."

Happily, Charlie is now back to good health, and completely sober.

Advertisement