Bath run riot, Burns shines bright

Bath ran in eight second-half tries to overwhelm Calvisano 67-11 in the Amlin Challenge Cup, while Gloucester claimed a win over London Irish.

Bath made hard work of the first period and were only 15-8 up at the break of their Pool Four clash at the Recreation Ground.

They responded to Luigi Ferraro's early score with tries from Nick Koster and Dominic Day before they crossed for five tries - through Horacio Agulla (two), Josh Ovens, Mark McMillan and Guy Mercer - in 15 minutes.

Bath's Scottish fly-half Tom Heathcote landed seven of the 10 conversions and a penalty to finish with a personal tally of 17 points against an Italian side which capitulated after half-time.

Fly-half Freddie Burns did his reputation as one of the brightest rising stars in English rugby no harm with his 24-point haul for Gloucester in his side's 29-22 victory over Aviva Premiership rivals London Irish.

Burns, who made his England debut during the recent autumn Test series at Twickenham, proved to be the pivotal figure and crossed for one of Gloucester's two tries.

He also enjoyed a dream day with the boot, kicking two conversions and five penalties in a win which saw Gloucester move ahead of London Irish at the top of Pool One.

Irish, though, were the side who scored the game's first try when when wing Sailosi Tagicakibau's crossed at the Madejski Stadium, and it was the Exiles who led 10-6 at half-time.

Halani Aulika and Anthony Watson then both ran in tries early in the second half to extend their lead to 22-9 before tries by Dan Murphy and Burns hauled the visitors back into the contest.

The Newport Gwent Dragons are considering an appeal after flanker Jevon Groves was red-carded in the 30th minute of their bonus-point 31-0 triumph over part-timers Rugby Mogliano in Italy.

Rob Beale, the Dragons director of rugby, confirmed Groves was given his marching orders for a tip-tackle but they intend to review the video evidence ahead of a likely appeal.

"It was a late tackle at best - not a dangerous one," Beale said. "We will have a look at the video of it and review it before we discuss whether we need to lodge some kind of appeal against the decision."

Bucharest Wolves pulled off the shock of the round when they recorded a 25-22 victory over French side Agen, while Italian side I Cavalieri Prato only lost 37-23 to Stade Francais in Italy.

Rovigo lost 13-3 to Bizkala Gernika in Spain.

In the late game, London Wasps battled back from a 10-point deficit to secure a 13-13 draw against Pool Three rivals Bayonne to set up a virtually decisive return match at Adams Park next weekend.

The French side built a 10-0 lead in the first half thanks to a penalty from Jacques-Louis Potgieter and a try on the stroke of half-time from Marvin O'Connor which Potgieter converted.

But the second half saw the pool leaders hit back and take a share of the spoils to remain a point in front of their French opponents in the battle for a quarter-final place.

Nicky Robinson kicked a penalty after 51 minutes and then speedy wing Christian Wade crossed for a vital try.

Wade had caused the Bayonne defence no end of problems throughout the game with his pace and tricky running and was full value for his try. Robinson converted and then went for a match-winning drop goal with almost the last kick of the match, but failed to hit the mark.