Berlusconi responds to Blatter
AC Milan president Silvio Berlusconi has responded angrily to FIFA president Sepp Blatter's claim that players should remain on the pitch when faced with racist abuse.
Rossoneri midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng led his team-mates off the pitch during a friendly match at Pro Patria last week after being subjected to racist chanting from a section of the home fans.
Leading authority figures, campaigners and current professional footballers were quick to lend their support to the former Portsmouth and Tottenham player, who insisted he would walk off again in any competitive match under similar circumstances.
Blatter said there should be "zero tolerance" for racism in the game but did not feel the solution was for players to "run away" from racist abuse.
Berlusconi rejected the FIFA president's position on Monday, telling radio station RTL: "I am of the opposite view.
"In fact, I thanked and congratulated my players for their decision to leave the field during the friendly in Busto Arsizio.
"This is an uncivilised problem that needs to be stopped, people should not allow these things to happen.
"Teams out on the pitch should set an example of civility and the educational role of football should not be underestimated.
"It's not only about the behaviour of players in the game, but of the public, and everyone needs to avoid giving Italy a negative image."
Speaking at a conference in the Middle East, Blatter had told United Arab Emirates newspaper The National, he said: "Walk off? No. I don't think that is the solution.
"But the Italian federation has yet to provide FIFA with the report detailing what exactly has happened.
"I don't think you can run away, because eventually you can run away if you lose a match. This issue is a very touchy subject, but I repeat there is zero tolerance of racism in the stadium; we have to go against that. The only solution is to be very harsh with the sanctions - and the sanctions must be a deduction of points or something similar."