Bristol City and Barnsley boosted

Bristol City and Barnsley both earned Championship home wins on Tuesday, Yeovil beat MK Dons in League One and Gillingham top League Two again.

Bristol City moved to within four points of 21st place with a hard-fought 2-0 victory over in-form Watford at Ashton Gate.

The Robins, who kept a clean sheet for the first time since April 2012, survived some first-half scares gainst the division's top scorers and took the lead in fortuitous circumstances when Greg Cunningham's hopeful cross found its way into the back of the net.

And 20 minutes after the break, Paul Anderson found the bottom corner to secure a valuable three points in the battle for survival.

At Oakwell, Jason Scotland marked his Barnsley debut by scoring with his first touch to help lift his new club closer to safety with a 2-0 victory over Millwall.

The 33-year-old former Swansea and Wigan striker, signed until the end of the season following his release from Ipswich, came off the bench in the 62nd minute and slammed home an emphatic 12-yard finish less than 90 seconds later.

Barnsley, who took the lead through striker Chris Dagnall's fourth goal in as many matches 11 minutes earlier, were good value for their advantage and comfortably held on to secure their fourth win in six matches under manager David Flitcroft.

In League One, Yeovil leapfrogged MK Dons and are now within three points of the play-off places thanks to a 2-1 win at Huish Park.

Paddy Madden put the Glovers ahead midway through the first half and although Antony Kay levelled in the 35th minute, the Dons' hopes of securing a result were hit by Antony Kay's dismissal for an off-the-ball clash with Madden, who scored the winner 12 minutes from time.

Jeff Hughes and Francois Zoko netted late goals to earn 10-man Notts County a battling 2-0 victory over struggling Portsmouth at Fratton Park.

Hughes broke the deadlock in the 81st minute before Zoko settled matters seven minutes later and although Neal Bishop was sent off following an off-the-ball altercation with Pompey skipper Johnny Ertl in injury time, it mattered little.

Third-placed Swindon were held to a goalless draw at Leyton Orient and are now six points adrift of the top two, while Crawley's clash with Preston was called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

In League Two, Cody McDonald and Myles Weston netted to earn Gillingham a 2-0 win over Northampton which sent them to the top of the table.

Jacques Maghoma earned Burton a 1-1 draw at Oxford, who took the lead through James Constable. The point moved the Brewers into the top three for the first time this season.