City held, Swans and Spurs win

Manchester City could only draw 1-1 at home to Everton in the Premier League on Saturday, while Swansea, Tottenham and Liverpool all won.

City went behind to a Marouane Fellaini goal at the Etihad and although they equalised through Carlos Tevez's penalty before half-time, they could not find a winner.

The result briefly put City top of the table, but the day ended with Manchester United stretching their lead to three points as they won 4-3 at Reading in the evening kick-off.

Tottenham are up to fourth and are level on points with Chelsea after winning 3-0 at Fulham thanks to Sandro's long-range strike and two Jermain Defoe goals.

West Brom lost 1-0 at home to Stoke, Dean Whitehead scoring in the 75th minute as the Potters moved up to ninth.

Two late Michu goals gave Swansea a shock 2-0 victory at Arsenal and moved Michael Laudrup's men into seventh, three places above the Gunners.

Liverpool moved up to 11th as Daniel Agger's goal gave them a 1-0 victory at home to Southampton.

QPR are still searching for their first league victory of the season after drawing 1-1 with Aston Villa at Loftus Road.

The day began with West Ham piling more pressure on Chelsea boss Rafael Benitez as they stormed back from a goal behind to bag a 3-1 victory over the Blues in the lunchtime kick-off at Upton Park.

Benitez faced more evident signs of dissent from the Chelsea faithful as his side extended their sorry run to just two points and one goal from three games since he was called in to replace sacked predecessor Roberto Di Matteo.

Juan Mata had given the visitors a 13th-minute lead but the Hammers' comeback was inspired by Carlton Cole, who headed a 63rd-minute equaliser then set up Mohamed Diame to fire the hosts in front with just four minutes left.

Hammers substitute Modibo Maiga put the gloss on his side's win and added more woe for Benitez with an injury time third for Sam Allardyce's men less than a minute after replacing Cole.

And the worries also mounted for Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger who saw his side outplayed by Swansea at the Emirates with Michu's late brace giving Laudrup's men a shock win.

The Gunners had been lucky to hold on with Wojciech Szczesny pulling off a superb double save to deny Angel Rangel, then a crucial interception from Thomas Vermaelen denying a certain goal for Nathan Dyer.

Szczesny also saved well to deny Swansea debutant Dwight Tiendalli late on before Michu slid home the opener two minutes from time, and struck again in injury time as the Gunners left the field to a chorus of boos.

Manchester City were forced to settle for a draw against impressive Everton at the Etihad Stadium.

Fellaini's eighth goal of the season had put David Moyes' men in front in the first half before Tevez equalised from the penalty spot two minutes before the break after Fellaini was adjudged to have felled Edin Dzeko in the box.

In the evening kick-off at the Madejski, Wayne Rooney answered the goalscoring rallying cry of his manager as Manchester United twice came from behind to beat Reading.

Sir Alex Ferguson said he wanted to see his striker find the back of the net more often and Rooney responded with two strikes in a thrilling match, where all seven goals came in a 26-minute spell in the first half.

Hal Robson-Kanu gave Reading an early lead before United hit back with Anderson levelling and Rooney putting them ahead from the spot.

Reading stunned the visitors with two quick-fire goals to regain the lead as Adam Le Fondre and Sean Morrison capitalised on lapses in United's defence to both score with close-range headers.

But another effort from Rooney and a neat finish from Robin van Persie saw United take the spoils.

The second half was less entertaining but both sides still created decent chances on a day where neither team's defending was deserving of praise.

Harry Redknapp's home debut in charge of QPR ended in a draw against Villa, in a game from which both sides will be frustrated not to have claimed all three points.

Brett Holman rammed the visitors in front with just eight minutes on the clock before Jamie Mackie equalised with an 18th minute header.

Shaun Wright-Phillips hit the post for Rangers before Stephane Mbia was stretchered off in first-half injury time after an off-the-ball collision with Gabriel Agbonlahor.

The home side largely controlled the second period but were almost made to pay for their missed chances when Villa substitute Karim El Ahmadi fired just wide with two minutes to go.

At Craven Cottage, Defoe scored twice as a superb second half show from Tottenham saw the visitors canter to victory over Fulham.

Sandro put Spurs ahead when he caught out Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer from long range in the 55th minute, before Defoe took over, sliding home from a set-up by Gylfi Sigurdsson on 72, and completing his side's win five minutes later.

At Anfield, Agger's 43rd-minute header proved enough as Liverpool chiselled out a narrow win over struggling Southampton.

The home side largely dominated with Jonjo Shelvey hitting the post in the 36th minute, then a Luis Suarez free-kick rebounded off the bar and fell to Glen Johnson, whose cross back into the box set up the winner for Agger.

Substitute Dean Whitehead snatched a 75th-minute winner for Stoke at The Hawthorns as West Brom fell to their second successive defeat.

A dismal game sprang to life in the final quarter hour after Whitehead - a 54th-minute replacement for Charlie Adam - poked home from a ball into the box by Michael Kightly to give the Potters a 1-0 win .