Debrecen: Reds game probed
Hungarian club Debrecen have confirmed their 2009 Champions League game with Liverpool was part of a match-fixing investigation.
Debrecen said UEFA had taken action against goalkeeper Vukasin Poleksic in 2010 for not reporting approaches from fixers before two European matches - against Liverpool and Fiorentina.
Poleksic was banned for two years but the UEFA charge at the time only specified Fiorentina, and Liverpool say they have never been notified by any organisation that the match at Anfield was under investigation.
There has never been any suspicion of wrongdoing by anyone at Liverpool, who won the match in question 1-0.
European enforcement agency Europol said on Monday one Champions League game in England was one of 380 games under investigation, and Debrecen confirmed a report in Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet that their games were involved.
A statement on Debrecen's website said: "The [UEFA] disciplinary committee's position was that Vukasin Poleksic neglected his obligations when he didn't report in time that, before two international matches of DVSC, unknown persons attempted to persuade him to influence the outcome of the matches.
"The two matches were the away game against Liverpool and the home encounter with Fiorentina."
"Neither DVSC nor the player wish to react further, all the more so as all the information has been released about this affair during the summer of 2010."
A Liverpool spokesman said: "We have had no contact from Europol or any other organisation over this."
Meanwhile, Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor said players at all 92 league clubs were warned earlier this season to blow the whistle if they are approached about illegal betting or match-fixing.
Advisers from the PFA visited every club and the dangers of becoming involved in such activities were spelled out clearly.
PFA boss Taylor said the issue of match-fixing was "very high on our agenda".
He said: "At the beginning of the season we had a team going out to all the clubs telling the players there should be no betting on any competition they have any association with, and that any approaches should be reported to the authorities.
"We have had some problems with one or two games in the recent past where players at Accrington Stanley and Bury were charged and sanctioned so although it is not commonplace in our country we are not complacent or naive.
"We need to be vigilant at all levels of the game."
Wales manager Chris Coleman said he had been staggered at the number of matches revealed to be under investigation and that it reflected badly on professional sport.
He told a news conference: "I am gutted if I am honest with you, I am disappointed at the level of it. It is staggering, sad.
"I've worked abroad in two different countries and things have happened on occasions and I have looked and thought that was not quite right, never my own team, but maybe a referee's decision, or something an opposition manager did.
"But when you look at the extent of the allegations it is sad. It is not good.
"It is not just football, we had the thing with rugby a while back when they cheated with blood on the pitch which was disgraceful, and we've had drugs with cycling, Lance Armstrong is an absolute sporting legend and we find out what happened there, now there all these allegations.
"Professional sport is not in a good place, and people are looking at us as role models for kids."