Del Piero set for Sydney debut
Italian star Alessandro Del Piero has declared himself available for Sydney FC's A-League opener against the Wellington Phoenix this weekend.
Del Piero has played just 70 minutes in an intra-club game since landing in Australia and there had been suggestions he could skip the trip to New Zealand in a bid to be 100% fit for the home clash with Newcastle on October 13.
The 2006 World Cup winner insists, however, he is "feeling good" and would play if asked.
The 37-year-old said: "I have to take time with the team but at the moment it (my fitness) is good.
"I'm okay for the first match and I want to improve day by day.
"The 70 minutes I played last week is good news for me and for the team.
"We will have to see what happens with the flight to Wellington but I'm okay, I feel good, and this is the most important thing."
Sydney boss Ian Crook admitted Del Piero was a likely inclusion but said he would delay a final call on his participation.
"We'll probably make a final decision on Thursday but I'm leaning towards him playing," he said.
"But we need to understand this isn't a guest stint with Alessandro, it's a two-year thing and a long-term project.
"We certainly don't want to break him, there will be a lot of thought going into it."
Del Piero was bullish when asked about Sydney's title chances.
"I know it won't be easy but I believe we will (win the league)," he added.
"We play to win each match and win the title.
"I'm not here to take my time but to play and play to win."