Drogba relishing Barca clash
Didier Drogba retains "good memories" of Chelsea's past clashes with Barcelona and is confident they can win their Champions League semi-final.
The Blues renew their fierce rivalry with the Spanish giants this week, the fifth season out of the last eight that the sides have squared off in Europe's premier club competition.
Most of those clashes have been dogged by controversy, none more so than the most recent at the same stage of the Champions League three years ago.
Drogba's foul-mouthed tirade against referee Tom Henning Ovrebo for failing to award Chelsea several penalties in Barca's away-goals triumph earned the striker a four-match ban - later reduced to three.
But the 33-year-old has also had plenty to celebrate against the Catalans in the past, saying: "It's not only bad memories - we have some good memories as well against Barcelona.
"It's a 50-50, even if they are said to be the best team in the world and have the best player in the world.
"There are two games. Anything can happen."
Drogba added of 2009: "It was a few years ago, so things have changed since then.
"But the desire is the same, the desire to beat them.
"It's going to be a tough game for us but we're ready to play."
Both sides have indeed moved on in the last three years but there is a real sense of deja vu about their upcoming semi-final.
Like 2009, Chelsea are thriving under a caretaker manager after sacking the man charged with making them play more like Wednesday's opponents.
The Blues' reversion to type under Roberto Di Matteo has so far yielded just as spectacular results as they achieved under Guus Hiddink's brief stewardship.
Last night's 5-1 FA Cup semi-final thumping of Tottenham could yet see them end the season with the same trophy and avoid a second successive barren campaign for the first time since Roman Abramovich bought the club.
Drogba said: "Last season was a bad season because I didn't win anything.
"I hope this season will be different. I want to win trophies."
The Ivory Coast star, who is out of contract this summer, added: "It's not about it being my last year here.
"I just want to win trophies with Chelsea, with my team and that's the most important thing."
Di Matteo is beginning to decide which of his Wembley heroes would be able to take the strain of two massive games in three days.
It seems unthinkable Drogba, John Terry, Ashley Cole and Frank Lampard would not start based on their outstanding displays yesterday and previous record against Barca.
Chelsea received a fitness boost today when Gary Cahill was able to train after leaving Wembley injured on Sunday night, but fellow defender David Luiz was a real doubt with the hamstring problem that forced him off on a stretcher.
Lampard said: "Luiz might be fairly bad but Cahill will be all right. Fortunately we have back-up.
"Branislav Ivanovic is suspended for the league games but he will be around to face Barcelona.
"It is a shame for David personally and for us as a team because he is such a good player."
Lampard was still revelling in Sunday night's victory and the stunning 30-yard free-kick that ended any hope of a Spurs fightback.
The dipping Cristiano Ronaldo-style howitzer brought back memories of Paul Gascogine's famous Wembley goal 21 years earlier.
Lampard said: "I hit one a few years ago against Ipswich in the cup, but to do it against Tottenham at Wembley makes it one of my favourites.
"I think Gazza's might have been another few yards and right in the top corner, I don't know.
"I grew up on that and you couldn't feel to be amazed at the strike he hit that time."
Meanwhile, it is understood the Football Association have no rules in place to punish Chelsea after their fans disrupted Sunday's minute's silence to commemorate the Hillsborough disaster.
Chelsea immediately condemned those involved and vowed to work with the FA to identify and take action against them.