English quartet win in Europe

Bath, Gloucester, London Irish and Worcester all recorded home wins in the Amlin Challenge Cup on Saturday, but London Welsh were beaten.

Scotland international Jack Cuthbert helped himself to a hat-trick as Bath made it six out of six in Pool Four with a routine 53-8 victory over Bucharest Wolves at the Recreation Ground.

The home side became the first team to post a perfect record in the pool stage this season as they piled on the points to underline their qualification for the quarter-finals.

They scored nine tries in all, with Cuthbert crossing twice in the opening half to give his side a 24-3 interval lead.

Bath are one of three English clubs through to the quarter-finals, joining Wasps and Gloucester, and will be the top-ranked team with 29 points.

The five pool winners will be joined by three runners-up from the Heineken Cup in the last eight.

Gloucester also made it six from six as they ran in six tries in their 36-16 home win over Mont-de-Marsan.

England hopeful Billy Twelvetrees came off the bench to grab a second-half penalty and convert the final try by Jonny May.

May was one of two Gloucester players to cross twice, with Henry Trinder following suit, while Charlie Sharples contributed a try in the 22nd minute.

London Irish and Worcester ended their pool campaigns on a high with home victories, but neither side was able to finish higher than second.

Irish had tries from Jonathan Joseph and Marland Yarde and seven points from the boot of Steve Shingler.

Worcester ran in 11 tries in a 71-19 win over Spanish champions Bizkaia Gernika. Outside-half Danny Gray helped himself to 21 points with eight conversions and a try.

Wales scrum-half Mike Phillips was among the try scorers in Bayonne's 54-0 win over Rugby Mogliano in Italy, while Grenoble hooker Laurent Bouchet grabbed two of his side's tries in a 47-0 win over I Cavalieri Prato in Pool Five.

Stade Francais later became the second French side to advance to the quarter-finals as they finished on top of Pool Five with a 39-17 win over London Welsh in Valenciennes.

The 2011 finalists ran in six tries to overtake Grenoble at the top of the table to clock their 17th win in their last 19 home games in the tournament.

The Exiles took the lead with a third-minute penalty from scrum-half Alex Davies, but found themselves trailing 18-3 at the break after the home side ran in three tries. The bonus point was clinched six minutes into the second half with a penalty try.

The visitors conceded one try at the end of the first-half when number eight Alfie To'oala was in the sin bin and then two at the start of the second period when fellow back-row man Lee Beach also saw yellow.

But the Exiles rallied to score two tries in the space of five minutes by right wing Phil Mackenzie, both converted by Davies, to cut the gap to 15 points midway through the second half.

In the end, though, Stade Francais wrapped up the game with their fifth try from Francis Fainifo six minutes from time.