French taken for X-rays

Apprentice Kristy French was taken to hospital for precautionary X-rays following a nasty fall at Lingfield.

The 7lb claimer was unshipped from Marti's Boy, trained by Stan Moore, inside the final furlong when out of contention in the 32Red Casino Claiming Stakes, the second race on the card.

She was taken by ambulance to East Surrey Hospital at Redhill, with a resulting delay until all emergency services were back in place at the Surrey course. The third race was run at 2.47pm rather than 1.30 pm.

"She was taken to hospital for precautionary X-rays on potential injuries. I've had no communication on any results," clerk of the course Neil Mackenzie Ross told At The Races.

Despite the substantial delay to the meeting, the much shorter time between races meant that the concluding event, originally planned for 3.45pm, was run just 19 minutes late.

There had been a happier outcome to the first race which saw La Estrella move to within one win of the record number of British victories on the all-weather.

Don Cantillon's 11-year-old now has 24 successes on an artificial surface to his name, with China Castle currently holding the record on 25.

With no suitable opportunities at his beloved Southwell, where the veteran has recorded 15 of his triumphs, La Estrella headed to Surrey where he was a 4-7 favourite for the 32Red On The App Store Claiming Stakes over two miles.

Partnered for the third successive time by Graham Lee, La Estrella was given a hard time by While You Wait, who put in a strong challenge but was held by a neck.

The stewards held an inquiry as the front two came close together in the closing stages, but the placings remained unaltered though Lee was banned for one day (January 29) for careless riding.

Cantillon said: "Isn't he marvellous? He's absolutely incredible. He's run his heart out. He looked beat and then all of a sudden they came close and my fellow got motivated, so it was a great performance by my lad.

"The next two days are going to be quite tense. We'll be checking the legs on a regular basis and he'll be scanned 48 hours after the race."

Lee said: "He's an old superstar, isn't he? He needed company (at the end of the race)."