Froch set for Bute rematch
Carl Froch will defend his IBF super-middleweight title in November before taking a rematch with Lucian Bute next March in Montreal.
Froch bounced back from his defeat to American Andre Ward in the Super Six tournament final by sensationally stopping Bute in the fifth round of their contest at the Nottingham Arena in May.
But the Canada-based 32-year-old, who fell to his first loss as a professional, has taken up the option of using the rematch clause guaranteeing him a chance to reclaim his belts in Canada.
"Froch vs. Bute has already gone down as one of the greatest nights in British boxing history," said Froch's promoter Eddie Hearn.
"It generated record television audiences and a sold-out arena where fans were treated to what many respected pundits and fighters have described as one of the best atmospheres ever felt in a British fight.
"Of course, like any fighter Lucian is keen to avenge this defeat and as per our agreement has the opportunity to try to make that happen.
"Both myself and Lucian's promoter Jean Bedard feel that it is the best interests of both fighters and any future rematch that both fighters will take an interim fight later this year.
"Froch vs. Bute II in Montreal is a massive event and I'm sure that impressive victories for both men later this year will add further fuel to the fire."
Bute was being touted as a future opponent for Ward to decide the best fighter in the 168lb division but the loss has dented those plans.
He does not think he did himself justice in May but is relishing the opportunity to fight on his home patch next year.
"That was not the real Lucian Bute in that Nottingham ring on May 26," he said.
"I spent the last few weeks reflecting about what went wrong, what happened, and the only thing that is crystal clear in my mind is that I want my rematch with Carl Froch as soon as possible."
Froch's opponent later this year is yet to be decided but the 35-year-old has made no secret of his desire to take on Mikkel Kessler again after the Dane handed him his first professional loss in 2010.
A close unanimous points decision separated the two fighters in Herning, where Froch feels Kessler was awarded a hometown decision to win the Englishman's WBC super-middleweight crown.
Kessler went on to take a sabbatical from the sport in order to heal an eye problem but returned to action last year after nearly 14 months out and has knocked out fringe contenders Mehdi Bouadla and Allan Green in the process.
Hello, regular commenting on Orange News and Sport pages closes on Thursday 30 May 2013. We will continue to provide a commenting facility on major news and sport events on orangeworld.co.uk. Contact us via http://oran.ge/OWfeedback if you have any further questions. Thanks.