Giants edge out Leeds

A fantastic second-half effort by Huddersfield saw them survive a late scare to overcome Leeds 24-22 and stretch their winning sequence at Headingley to five games.

With the Rhinos leading 12-6, the visitors hit them for three tries in just nine minutes to turn an otherwise scrappy game on its head and claim both points, though they survived a late scare when Tom Briscoe had a try ruled out for pushing Scotland international Danny Brough when challenging for the ball.

The victory ended Leeds' unbeaten record at Headingley this season and means that the Giants have now not lost to their West Yorkshire neighbours in any game since a play-off at the John Smith's Stadium in September 2012.

Earlier, Kallum Watkins had got Leeds off to a flying start with some superb footwork to score the opening try.

Kyle Wood responded almost immediately for the Giants with a well-timed run to burst through Stevie Ward's tackle and score to level matters.

The Rhinos returned to the lead before the quarter-mark when Joel Moon sent Ben Jones-Bishop - who was deputising at full back for the banned Zak Hardaker - over for his eighth try in as many matches.


It was a scrappy affair and Jermaine McGillvray capitalised on yet another Leeds error when he took Aaron Murphy's pass to squeeze over in the corner, Brough's excellent touchline conversion returning the game to parity at 12-12.

Powerhouse prop Eorl Crabtree then got over to put the Giants in front, before Brett Ferres beat Jamie Peacock to make a clean break, supported by Joe Wardle, who crossed for Huddersfield.

The game looked to be over, but Ryan Bailey survived a lengthy video ref call to be given the nod for a try and then Liam Sutcliffe's snaking run took him over in the corner, though Sinfield missed one of the conversions to leave his team two points adrift at 24-22 with 13 minutes remaining.

Former-Rhino Jodie Broughton had a try disallowed, one of numerous obstruction penalties given on the night. Then, with virtually the last play of the game, Leeds kept the ball alive and Briscoe appeared to have won it for them, until a lengthy video referee enquiry ruled out the try and with it any chance of the points.