sport

Godwin handed Australia chance

Australia have called up Kyle Godwin to their 30-man squad for the Rugby Championship clash with South Africa.

The Wallabies will tackle the Springboks on September 6 on the back of a draw and a heavy defeat against New Zealand.

And with Pat McCabe having been ruled out with a third serious neck injury, Western Force centre Godwin has been handed his chance.

"Kyle is someone who has been on the national radar for some time, but unfortunately hasn't had much of an opportunity to join the Wallabies environment due to injury," said coach Ewen McKenzie.

"He now gets his chance to join the squad, and we'll look forward to learning more about him."

Nathan Charles will also miss the clash in Perth, paving the way for Tatafu Polota-Nau to return – although the hooker is unlikely to play until the September 13 clash against Argentina.

Both Charles and McCabe picked up injuries in record 51-20 defeat to the All Blacks in Auckland on Saturday.

And McKenzie is expecting a response from his side against the Boks, who have opened their campaign with back-to-back wins over the Pumas.

"We don't hide from the fact that our performance against New Zealand was well below our own expectations, which was especially disappointing considering the momentum we had created since last year's (southern hemisphere) spring tour," he said.

"We'll address that and then get on with preparing for what will be a very tough battle against South Africa."

Australia - Forwards: Alexander, Cowan, Kepu, Slipper, S Fainga'a, Hanson, Polota-Nau, Carter, Horwill, Simmons, Skelton, Fardy, Higginbotham, Hodgson, Hooper (capt), McCalman, Palu.Backs: Burgess, Phipps, White, Beale, Foley, Godwin, Kuridrani, Leali'ifano, Toomua, Ashley-Cooper, Betham, Folau, Horne