Guingamp win Coupe de France

Guingamp served up a repeat of their 2009 Coupe de France victory as they eased to a 2-0 win over Rennes in the final at Stade de France.

Rennes were on the wrong end of an upset in this fixture five years ago as Guingamp, then a Ligue 2 outfit, defeated their Brittany rivals 2-1 to lift the trophy for the first time in the club's history.

And it was the same old story for Philippe Montanier's men on Saturday night as Rennes' barren run without major silverware ticked over into a 43rd year.

Goals from Jonathan Martins-Pereira and Mustapha Yatabare either side of the break were sufficient for Jocelyn Gourvennec's Guingamp to again earn the bragging rights over their northern rivals and with it a place in the group stage of next season's Europa League.

Both of these sides are still looking over their shoulders at the Ligue 1 relegation zone after inconsistent campaigns, but one common trend this term has been Guingamp's dominance over Rennes, with 2-0 wins registered both home and away in the league.

A 2-0 win in the cup final would therefore have featured on more than a few betting slips and Guingamp wasted little time in taking the contest to their opponents, bossing both possession and chances in the first 45 minutes.

Seven minutes in Steeven Langil took the ball down the left and crossed toward the far post where Claudio Beauvue hit a left-footed volley that Benoit Costil did well to keep out.

Christophe Mandanne's header brushed the frame of the Rennes goal moments later while Costil was in the right place to keep out a Yatabare drive as Guingamp grew in confidence.

Costil stood up to Langil's shot on the run on 25 minutes but the pressure on the Rennes goal soon told.

The Rennes goalkeeper, so impressive early on, was at fault on this occasion as his weak punch from a header fell straight into the path of Martins-Pereira who had a simple task to tuck the ball away.

Any frustration Guingamp felt at only being one goal ahead at the break was lifted within 60 seconds of the restart as they increased their lead.

Langil enjoyed himself down the left in the first half and started the second in the same manner, his cross to the back post perfectly judged for Yatabare to nod in under no pressure from Rennes' defenders.

Yatabare should have doubled his tally on 54 minutes but Costil made a wonderful save to deny him, before Dorian Leveque curled one just wide of the post.

A hitherto lamentable Rennes performance finally showed signs of improvement inside the final 10 minutes as Nelson Oliveira and Jean-Armel Kana-Biyik saw decent efforts kept out by Mamadou Samassa, denying the fans a grandstand finish to what had been for the most part a one-sided contest.