football on twitter
Please wait while we load football on twitter...
Ricky Hatton has confirmed that his comeback fight on November 24 will be against Ukrainian Vyacheslav Senchenko.
Speaking at a press conference on Friday morning Hatton, who is coming out of retirement following a three-and-a-half-year exile from the ring, announced that 35-year-old Senchenko would be his first opponent in a welterweight clash at the Manchester Evening News Arena.
Largely unknown on British shores, Senchenko, like Hatton, is a former world welterweight champion, losing the belt in his last bout - his first career loss - to American Paulie Malignaggi.
That was his first defeat in his 33rd fight, losing to a man Hatton himself beat in his penultimate match-up before retirement. His next outing was his well-publicised hammering by Manny Pacquiao, a setback which sent him on a downward spiral that saw him encounter problems with alcohol and drugs.
After a lengthy absence from the ring he confirmed his retirement last year, only to announce two weeks ago that he was returning to the ring.
Entering the media gathering to a video of his brutal dismantling by Pacquiao, Hatton went on to state his belief that he has selected the toughest-possible opponent.
"I can't wait to get in the ring now," said the 33-year-old.
"I'm sure that Vyacheslav will give me a good fight, but it's one I am confident I can win. I believe this was as good an opponent as I could have had.
"Senchenko lost the last time he fought but he has a good pedigree. But I'm in great shape, I'm feeling good and I know I can put on a performance for those watching."
Hatton also choked up when adding that the bout, his first at the MEN since his famous win over Kosta Tszyu in 2005, had sold out.
"I cannot thank the people of Manchester enough," he said.