Ban keeps Healy on sidelines
Ireland prop Cian Healy will not be involved in Leinster's RaboDirect PRO12 game against Treviso in Dublin after all.
Healy received a three-week ban on Wednesday after being cited for stamping on England prop Dan Cole during last weekend's Six Nations clash.
The disciplinary committee ruled that since this weekend was a rest weekend in the Six Nations, the punishment would be deferred for a week so that he would miss the matches against Scotland on February 24 and France on March 9.
That theoretically left the door open for him to play for Leinster against Treviso but Six Nations Rugby Limited have now clarified Healy's position - and he is not allowed to play.
"During the hearing of the citing complaint against Mr Healy, the chairman of the independent disciplinary committee, Roger Morris, of Wales, made it clear to Mr Healy...that he was suspended from the date on which he had been informed of the citing complaint against him until midnight on the night of Sunday, 10 March," it said.
"The disciplinary committee has not yet produced its written decision, but Mr Morris has today written to Six Nations Rugby Limited and those representing Mr Healy at the hearing to confirm the position.
"Mr Morris says, in relevant part: 'I do not think anyone present at the hearing on Wednesday was in any doubt that Mr Healy is not free to play again until after midnight on 10 March'.
"Accordingly, Mr Healy is currently suspended and will remain suspended - subject to appeals - until 11 March 2013. He is therefore not eligible to play for Leinster in this weekend's RaboDirect PRO12 match against Benetton Treviso."
Hello, regular commenting on Orange News and Sport pages closes on Thursday 30 May 2013. We will continue to provide a commenting facility on major news and sport events on orangeworld.co.uk. Contact us via http://oran.ge/OWfeedback if you have any further questions. Thanks.