Hull enjoy Salford stroll

Hull FC had few problems giving their season a kick-start as they ran away with a comprehensive 30-8 victory over a hapless Salford Red Devils at the KC Stadium.

A "crisis" meeting was called by Black and Whites coach Lee Radford following last weekend's 7-0 home loss to Widnes Vikings and his players responded with a showing full of desire and bravery.

Young half-back Jacob Miller marked his first appearance of the season with the first try of the night before Greg Johnson showed good determination to level for Salford.

Jamie Shaul, returning at full-back, put Hull back in front on the half-hour mark and brilliantly laid the platform for Ben Crooks to give the hosts some breathing space just after the break.

Richard Horne and Junior Sa'u exchanged tries before Liam Watts rounded off the scoring two minutes from time.

Hull soon settled into the contest and, after a couple of opportunities had gone begging, opened the scoring on 14 minutes when Miller jinked his way to the line.

Good hands by Jake Mullaney gave Johnson some space on the right and the speedster touched down in the corner to register Salford's first points despite a desperate tackle by Miller.


The Black and Whites came roaring back and were back in front as Shaul gathered Horne's well-weighted kick to put the ball down next to the posts.

Successive penalties, the second of which saw Adrian Morley put on report, gave Hull good field position to extend their lead but the solid Salford defence kept them out, before Johnson showed great pace again to stop a certain try on the stroke of half-time after Kirk Yeaman had stripped the ball on halfway.

The crowd at the KC were treated to a moment of magic by Shaul in the early stages of the second half as he collected a kick on his own line before racing 80 metres downfield.

Salford were short of numbers and Hull spread the ball from left to right before Crooks scored in the corner.

It got better for the home side just minutes later when the Red Devils failed to deal with a high kick and Horne went under the sticks after receiving a flick pass from Jay Pitts.

Salford gave themselves hope as Sa'u finished after good work by Theo Fages and were almost right back in it when Tommy Lee ran clear, only for Hull to get back and snuff out the danger.

A series of knock-ons and penalties gave the visitors perfect field position for a sustained period but outstanding goal-line defence by the Black and Whites kept them at bay.

That period of play knocked the stuffing out of Salford and Watts rounded off a good evening for Hull as they drew first blood ahead of next week's Challenge Cup tie between the two teams.