I'll be back, insists Khan
Amir Khan has vowed to return to the light-welterweight division once he has taken a break to reassess his defeat to Danny Garcia.
Khan suffered a fourth-round stoppage by Garcia in Las Vegas on Saturday night, slumping to the second brutal knockout of his career, and has faced calls to retire.
But the 25-year-old on Monday afternoon released a statement outlining his intention to reclaim his titles.
"I'm going to spend the next few weeks relaxing during Ramadan and recharging my batteries after what was a 16-week training camp for me," the statement read.
"I'll then sit down with my team to assess the options in front of me.
"Well done to Danny Garcia on his performance, but I promise that I'll bounce back stronger than ever as I look to regain my spot at the top of the 140lb division.
"Many fighters down the years have bounced back from defeat to prove their greatness and that's exactly what I intend to do.
"I've never shirked any challenge or refused to fight anyone in my division even though it would have been easy for me to do so.
"Some say that attitude is the wrong one to have but I've always wanted to please the fans and be involved in exciting fights."
Khan had earlier hit back at IBF super-middleweight champion Carl Froch's claim that the Bolton man should retire.
Khan told BBC Radio Five Live: "Carl's always got his little things to say, I think I'll leave it at that really. I'm a young fighter, I'm 25, I'm not talking about retiring, I'm still young and I've got a lot in me," said Khan, who now has a 26-3 record with 18 early wins and two stoppage defeats.
"If he wants to retire, he can retire, he's talking about retiring. I'm in a tougher division. I'm fighting better opposition and I'm a bigger name than him, and I think that's what burns him really.
"People are going to say things after this fight, people said things after the (Breidis) Prescott fight (which he lost in 2008), and see how I came back after that. I'll come back stronger, I'm still young, I'm still hungry and I'll come back a lot better and a lot stronger.'
"The next fight will be in England, I hope. I'm going to relax for a week, not even think about boxing for a week or so, and then I'm going to leave it for my team to do a great job."
David Haye insists Khan remains a box-office attraction despite his disastrous performance against Garcia.
"People are writing Amir Khan off, but they do that at their peril," Haye told Radio 5 Live.
"He's been written off in the past when he was knocked out by Breidis Prescott. People said he was finished, that he was chinny and had no heart.
"But he came back and won world titles. Lennox Lewis was knocked out twice by Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman, should he have given up then?
"He will still get the big fights, guaranteed, because he's Amir Khan and puts bums on seats.
"He's a young 25-year-old fighter who can produce the goods when it counts.
"It was just an off night for him and he'll make everybody eat their words, just like he did after losing to Prescott.
"I remember the write ups after that defeat but look at their careers now - Prescott's a journeyman while Khan won a couple of world titles."