Johnson destroys England

Mitchell Johnson claimed 7-40 as England's batting line-up capitulated again to give Australia total command of the second Ashes Test in Adelaide.

England were bowled out for 172 at tea on day three, Johnson taking six wickets in the afternoon session, while Ian Bell played a lone hand with 72 not out.

Despite a first-innings lead of 398, Australia - 1-0 up in the series - declined to enforce the follow-on and David Warner's 83 not out led them to stumps on 132-3 in their second innings, an overall advantage of 530.

Johnson was twice on a hat-trick during a post-lunch spell of 5-2-15-5 that accounted for Ben Stokes, Matt Prior, Stuart Broad, Graeme Swann and James Anderson.

Up to speed

Fresh from taking nine wickets during Australia's 381-run victory in the series opener at The Gabba, the left-arm paceman produced some fearsome bowling on a pitch offering him little assistance.

Stokes (1) was given out lbw on review early in the afternoon session to start a half-hour of carnage for the tourists, who went from 111-3 to 135-9 in less than 10 overs.

Johnson followed up with two more wickets in the same over; Prior (0) pushed forward and edged behind after being worked over by a couple of short deliveries and Broad (0) was bowled behind his legs for a golden duck after moving right across his stumps.

Swann (7) survived the first hat-trick ball at the start of Johnson's next over, chipping it in the air through midwicket for three runs, but he was soon on his way when a wild drive was well held by a diving Michael Clarke at second slip.

Anderson had his middle stump pegged back first ball and walked off avoiding eye contact with a fired-up Johnson.

Bell watched all this unfold from the non-striker's end and almost became Johnson's latest victim when, with the bowler again on a hat-trick to start an over, his drive fell just short of mid-off.

Last man Monty Panesar contributed two to a stand of 37 with Bell, whose 106-ball effort featured nine fours and four sixes, before Johnson returned to bowl Panesar and walked off for tea kissing his Baggy Green.

With Clarke not interested by the follow-on in order to give his bowlers some rest, Anderson struck twice in the third over of Australia's second innings to remove Chris Rogers and Shane Watson.

Clarke became the 12th wicket of the day when Panesar got one through his defences to end a 61-run, third-wicket stand with Warner, who remained unbeaten at stumps alongside Steve Smith (23no).

Rash shots

England had lost three wickets during a morning that, by comparison with what followed later, was fairly sedate.

On 35-1 overnight, Joe Root (15) and Kevin Pietersen (4) gifted their wickets away and Michael Carberry fell for 60 to a brilliant Warner catch.

The introduction of Nathan Lyon ended a 48-run stand between Carberry and Root, who top-edged a sweep into the hands of Chris Rogers at deep square-leg from the spinner's first ball at him.

Pietersen, whose previous two appearances at this venue included a hundred and double hundred, lasted only 12 deliveries before being dismissed by Peter Siddle for the eighth time in Tests.

With two fielders in the midwicket region, Pietersen advanced at medium pacer Siddle and flicked into the leg-side, straight to George Bailey who juggled the catch before holding on.

Bell launched two early sixes off Lyon as he and Carberry counter-attacked from 66-3 with a 45-run partnership. Carberry also played some eye-catching shots against the spinner, twice stepping back to force through the off-side.

The Hampshire opener reached 50 for the first time in Tests from 115 balls but was undone when he middled a pull off Shane Watson's bowling, only for Warner to pluck a low one-handed catch out of the air at square-leg.