Kent close in on Surrey success

Kent moved to the brink of victory with a day remaining in their LV= County Championship Division Two clash with Surrey.

The hosts pushed on from 355 for four overnight to claim maximum batting points before being dismissed for 435, a lead of 150.

Surrey were eight down by the time they took a lead but some tail-end resistance meant they will continue into Wednesday 20 ahead with one wicket remaining.

Matt Dunn, Jade Dernbach and Aneesh Kapil took two wickets apiece as Surrey actually enjoyed a successful morning, claiming the hosts' last six wickets for the addition of 80.

Dunn finished with innings-best figures of three for 104 while Sam Billings' 34 saw Kent to their fifth batting bonus point and a maximum eight for the match.

Surrey captain Graeme Smith was off the field in the morning looking after his daughter, who was unwell, so he was unable to open the batting.

The responsibility instead fell on Arun Harinath alongside Rory Burns, but the stopgap made just nine before he was caught by Adam Ball off the bowling of Doug Bollinger.

Dominic Sibley did not trouble the scorers and when Darren Stevens dismissed Burns for 18, Surrey were struggling at 32 for three.

That became 47 for four when the patient Zafar Ansari was stumped by Billings off Adam Riley for nine, before Smith came in at number six and joined his wicketkeeper Steven Davies in a recovery of sorts.

The pair put on exactly 50 in 15.3 overs before Davies became Riley's second victim, lbw for 40.

Riley also dismissed Jason Roy for 10, caught by Rob Key, and when Kapil fell to Mitchell Claydon, the prospect of an innings defeat remained, with Surrey still 16 behind.

Smith (38) helped at least erase the deficit before he was dismissed with the score on 150 and two wickets remaining - effectively nought for eight.

Kent were granted the extra half-hour in a bid to force victory and crowded the bat with close fielders, but Stuart Meaker (12) and Dunn (four not out) held out until Claydon trapped Meaker lbw in the last over.

Dernbach will join Dunn at the wicket on the final morning, with the visitors praying the forecast rain hits Canterbury without remorse.